- "My father, a European scholar and aristocrat -- and more, a warlock and werewolf -- who, now dead, had left me another inheritance as well -- the curse of a werewolf born!"
- ―Jack Russell
|Werewolf by Night Vol 1 1|
|Series||Werewolf by Night|
|Title||"Eye of the Beholder"|
|Cover date||September, 1972|
|Cover Artists||Mike Ploog|
|Previous||Marvel Spotlight #4|
|Next||Werewolf by Night #2|
"Eye of the Beholder" is the first issue of volume 1 of the Werewolf by Night ongoing comic book series published by Marvel Comics. The issue was written by Gerry Conway with cover and interior artwork by Mike Ploog and inker Frank Chiaramonte. It was lettered by John Costanza and edited by Editor-in-Chief Roy Thomas. No colorist was credited for this issue. The storyline from this issue picks up from the events of the werewolf's last appearance in Marvel Spotlight #4.
Due to the actions of a mutant gorgon named Marlene Blackgar, the Werewolf has been turned into solid stone. However, as the sun rises, he transforms back into flesh and blood (as well as back into Jack Russell).
Buck Cowan finds Jack on the beach, and brings him back to his house. Jack tells Buck that he still possesses the Darkhold. As the two talk, Jack receives a frantic telephone call from Lissa. She arranges to meet up with him at Buck's place. Little does Jack realize that Marlene is forcing Lissa to set Jack up. She wants to regain the dark grimoire for herself.
Marlene, Strug and her invalid father, Miles, find Jack and manage to capture him. Jack succeeds in escaping just as the moon begins to rise. He races away from the Blackgar home, leaving Buck and Lissa still captive.
Turning into the werewolf, he circles back and enters the castle. He engages in a brutal struggle with Strug, and Marlene fires her gun at both of them. Stug takes the fatal hit and falls over dead.
Facing Jack, Marlene removes her sunglasses intent on turning him back into stone. The werewolf lunges out of the way, and Marlene accidentally catches her own reflection in a wall-mounted mirror. Both her father and she are instantly turned to stone.
Buck Cowan takes possession of the "statues" and donates them to the Santa Monica Art Museum.
Notes & Trivia Edit
- This issue is reprinted in Essential Werewolf by Night, Volume 1.
- CCA approved.
- The tagline for this issue is "Full Moon Rise -- Werewolf Kill!".
- Story continues from Marvel Spotlight #4.
- Inker Frank Chiaramonte is credited as Frank Monte in this issue.
- Letterer John Costanza is credited as Jon Costa in this issue.
- Fictional mascot Irving Forbush is credited as "stone-cutter" in this issue.
- This issue takes place over the course of two days (the second and third nights of the full moon).
- Jack Russell appeared last in Marvel Spotlight #4.
- Buck Cowan appeared last in Marvel Spotlight #4.
- Lissa Russell appeared last in Marvel Spotlight #4.
- Final appearances for Marlene Blackgar (turned to stone in this issue), Miles Blackgar (turned to stone in this issue) and Strug (dies in this issue).
See also Edit
- Werewolf by Night
- Werewolf by Night characters
- Werewolf by Night creators
- Werewolf by Night locations
- Werewolf by Night comic titles
- Werewolf by Night comic issues
- Werewolf by Night image gallery
- Werewolf by Night image category
- Werewolf by Night character appearances
- Werewolf by Night location appearances
- Werewolf by Night miscellaneous articles
External Links Edit
- Werewolf by Night #1 at MDP
- Werewolf by Night #1 at Comics.org
- Werewolf by Night #1 at Comic Vine
- Werewolf by Night #1 at Comicbookdb.com
- Werewolf by Night #1 at Comic Collector Live
This article is an issue of a Werewolf by Night comic book series.