|This page is similar in name or subject to other pages.
He's come from the past to destroy the future.
|Directed by||Steve Miner|
|Written by||D.T. Twohy|
|Produced by||Morgan Michael Fottrell; Arnold Kopelson; Steve Miner; Brian Yuzna|
|Music by||Jerry Goldsmith|
|Edited by||David Finfer|
|Distributed by|| New World Pictures|
|Release date(s)|| June 2nd, 1989 (UK)|
January 11th, 1991 (US)
|Running time||103 min.|
|Gross revenue|| £958,167 (UK)|
|Followed by||Warlock: The Armageddon (1993)|
Warlock is an American horror film of the supernatural thriller subgenre. It was directed by Steve Miner and written by David Twohy. It was produced by New World Pictures and released theatrically in the United Kingdom on June 2nd, 1989. It premiered in the United States on January 11th, 1991 and was released by Trimark Pictures. The movie is followed by one theatrically released sequel and one direct-to-video sequel. The film stars Julian Sands as the unnamed Warlock, Lori Singer as the heroine, Kassandra, Richard E. Grant as witch-hunter Giles Redferne and Mary Woronov as the channeler.
In Colonial Boston, Massachusetts in 1691, the Warlock was about to be executed when a time portal took him and a witch hunter named Giles Redferne 300 years into the future.
Giles meets Kassandra, a waitress who helps him find the Warlock to destroy him before returning home to 1691.
|Richard E. Grant||Giles Redferne|
|Anna Levine||Pastor's wife|
|Kay E. Kuter||Proctor|
|Ian Abercrombie||Magistrate #1|
|Kenneth Danziger||Magistrate #2|
|Brandon Call||Little boy|
|Nancy Fox||Boy's mother|
|Rob Paulsen||Gas station attendant|
|Gyl Roland||Ticket agent|
|Meta King||Flight attendant|
|Bill Dunnam||Railroad employee|
Production & Release Edit
Cast & Crew Edit
- This is the fourth horror film directed by Steve Miner. He previously directed the 1986 horror/comedy House. His next film is the 1998 slasher sequel Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later.
- This is screenwriter David Twohy's second film. Credited under the name D.T. Twohy, he previously wrote the script for the 1988 sci-fi creature feature Critters 2.
- Actor Julian Sands is also known for playing the role of Percy Bysshe Shelley, husband of noted Frankenstein author Mary Shelley in the 1986 quasi-biographical film Gothic. Following Warlock he played Doctor James Atherton in Arachnophobia. He played a vampire named Alex in the independent film Tale of a Vampire. He came back to the franchise to reprise the role of the warlock in Warlock: The Armageddon. In 1998 he played the titular phantom role in Dario Argento's remake of Phantom of the Opera. In 2002 he played Nick Hardaway in the Stephen King miniseries Rose Red.
- Actress Lori Singer is also known for playing the role of Sydney Bloom - the main character from the short-lived sci-fi series VR.5.
- Actor Richard E. Grant will go on to play the role of Doctor Jack Seward in Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 adaptation of Dracula.
Notes & Trivia Edit
- Known as Warlock: The Magician in Filipino releases.
- Warlock was released the same year as Witchcraft, which explored many similar themes.
The year in film Edit
Other films that were released in 1989 include:
- The Covenant
- Tales from the Grave
- Warlock: The Armageddon
- Warlock III: The End of Innocence
- Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway
- Witchboard III: The Possession