Where myths and legends come to life.
|Directed by||John Carl Buechler|
|Written by||Ed Naha|
|Produced by||Charles Band; Albert Band; Debra Dion|
|Music by||Richard Band|
|Edited by||Lee Percy|
|Distributed by|| Empire Pictures|
|Release date(s)||January 17th, 1986|
|Running time||82 min.|
|Followed by||Troll 2 (1990)|
Troll is an American dark fantasy film with elements of horror which deals with the existence of mythological figures known as trolls. The movie was directed by visual effects and makeup artist John Carl Buechler and produced by Charles Band, his father Albert Band and his then-wife Debra Dion of Empire Pictures. The movie was released theatrically in the United States on January 17th, 1986. A sequel film, Troll 2, was released in 1990 and bore the franchise name, but was otherwise unrelated to this film. The movie stars child actor Noah Hathaway as Harry Potter, Jr., Michael Moriarty as his father Harry Potter, Sr., as well as Shelley Hack, Jenny Beck, 1960s crooner Sonny Bono, future Seinfeld star Julia Louis-Dreyfus in her movie debut as well as Anne Lockhart and her mother June Lockhart.
|Noah Hathaway||Harry Potter, Jr.|
|Michael Moriarty||Harry Potter, Sr.|
|Shelley Hack||Anne Potter|
|Jenny Beck||Wendy Anne Potter|
|Sonny Bono||Peter Dickinson|
|Phil Fondacaro||Malcolm Mallory/Torok the Troll|
|Brad Hall||William Daniels|
|Anne Lockhart||Young Eunice St. Clair|
|Julia Louis-Dreyfus||Jeanette Cooper|
|Gary Sandy||Barry Tabor|
|June Lockhart||Eunice St. Clair|
|Robert Hathaway||First policeman|
|James Beck||Second policeman|
|Dale Wyatt||Dickinson's girlfriend|
|Debra Dion||Young woman on T.V.|
|Charles Band||Young man on T.V.|
|Jacquelyn Band||Older woman on T.V.|
|Albert Band||Older man on T.V.|
|John Carl Buechler||Sorcerer|
Notes & Trivia Edit
- Troll grossed $2,595,054 over it's opening weekend.
- Troll was filmed in Stabilimenti Cinematografici Pontini, Rome, Italy. The 1985 adventure film Red Sonja was also filmed here.
- This is the first full-length feature film directed by special visual effects artist John Carl Buechler. He previously directed the "Demons of the Dead" segment in the 1984 Charles Band film Ragewar. A poster for the film can be seen on the wall of Harry Potter, Jr.'s bedroom.
- John Carl Buechler makes an uncredited appearance as the sorcerer in this film.
- Actress Jenny Beck was nominated for the Exceptional Performance by a Young Actress award at the 1987 Young Artist Awards for her portrayal of Wendy Anne Potter in Troll.
- Troll marks the film debut of actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus who will go on to play the role of Elaine Benes in the popular 1990-1998 comedy series Seinfeld.
- June Lockhart, who plays the role of Eunice St. Clair, is best known for her portrayal of Maureen Robinson in the 1960s sci-fi series Lost in Space. June's daughter, Anne Lockhart, played young Eunice St. Clair in this film.
- Troll is a fantasy film set against the backdrop of magic and otherworldly creatures and focuses on a central figure whose name is Harry Potter. Harry Potter is also the eponymous protagonist of a series of popular children's books written by J.K. Rowling.
- Jacquelyn Band, who plays an older woman on TV, is the wife of producer Albert Band and mother of producer Charles Band and composer Richard Band. Albert Band makes a cameo appearance in the film as her husband and Charles as well as his then-wife Debra Dion also make a cameo appearance as a young couple seen on TV.
The year in film Edit
Other films that were released in 1986 include:
Films that begin with T Edit
See also Edit
External Links Edit
This article relates to the films within the Troll franchise.