|This page is similar in name or subject to other pages.
What you fear most... is among you.
|Directed by||John Carpenter|
|Written by||Bill Lancaster; John W. Campbell, Jr.|
|Produced by||Wilbur Stark; David Foster; Lawrence Turman; Larry Franco; Stuart Cohen|
|Music by||Ennio Morricone|
|Edited by||Todd Ramsay|
|Distributed by|| Universal Pictures|
|Release date(s)||June 25th, 1982|
|Running time||100 min.|
|Preceded by||The Thing (2011) (Prequel)|
The Thing is an American horror film of the science-fiction subgenre. It was directed by John Carpenter and written by Bill Lancaster. It was released theatrically in the United States on June 25th, 1982. The movie was remade in 2011 by director Matthijs van Heijningen, Jr.. Often marketed under the title John Carpenter's The Thing, the film adapts the 1938 novella Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell, Jr. and was also loosely based on the script from the 1951 sci-fi film The Thing from Another World by Howard Hawks and Christian Nyby. The premise of the film involves a team of scientists who are sent to investigate lost communications at a Norwegian research outpost in the frozen tundra of Antarctica. After discovering the bizarre remains of a dog and a human cadaver, they quickly find themselves prey to an aggressive alien life form that assimilates human hosts and takes their form. The film stars Kurt Russell as the main protagonist - helicopter pilot R.J. MacReady. Other notable cast members include Wilford Brimley, T.K. Carter, David Clennon, Keith David and Richard Dysart.
|Kurt Russell||R.J. MacReady|
|A. Wilford Brimley||Doctor Blair|
|Richard Dysart||Doctor Copper|
|Charles Hallahan||Vance Norris|
|Peter Maloney||George Bennings|
|Larry Franco||Norwegian passenger with rifle|
|Nate Irwin||Helicopter pilot|
|Adrienne Barbeau||Computer voice|
Notes & Trivia Edit
- Alternatively known as John Carpenter's The Thing.
- Production on The Thing began in June of 1981. Exteriors were filmed in Stewart and Kimberley, British Columbia, Canada as well as the Tongas National Forest in Juneau, Alaska. Studio set shots were filmed at Universal Studios, California.
- The Thing grossed $3,107,897 over it's opening weekend on June 25th-27th. It was screened in 840 theaters in the US.
- The Thing was included on the John Carpenter: Master of Fear DVD collection along with Prince of Darkness, They Live and Village of the Damned.
- Aside from an uncredited behind-the-scenes appearance by Adrienne Barbeau as the voice on MacReady's computer, The Thing features an all-male cast.
- John Carpenter and producer Larry Franco make cameo appearances as Norwegian researchers on the videotape.
- Jed the dog, who plays the Dog Thing in this film is the same animal who played White Fang in the 1991 film of the same name.
- 30 Days of Night (2007); Snow setting
- Alien vs. Predator (2004); Snow setting; Sci-fi
- The Thing from Another World (1951) (Progenitor)
- The Thing (2011) (Prequel)
- Halloween (1978); d. John Carpenter
- The Fog (1980); d. John Carpenter
- Christine (1983); d. John Carpenter
- Ghosts of Mars (2001); d. John Carpenter