|This page is similar in name or subject to other pages.
|Known relatives:||Norma Bates (wife)|
Norman Bates (son)
|1st appearance:||"First You Dream, Then You Die"|
Sam Bates is a minor character featured in the A&E television series Bates Motel. Played by actor David Cubitt, he appeared in the first act of the pilot episode, "First You Dream, Then You Die". The true nature of Sam's death was revealed in episode 1x06, "The Truth".
Sam Bates was the husband of Norma Louise Bates and the mother of Norman Bates. They lived in Phoenix, Arizona. Sam was an abusive man who would often taken out his aggression upon his wife. On one instance, 17-year-old Norman Bates witnessed one of his father's outrages and flew into a rage. He bludgeoned Sam to death to protect his mother. When Norman regained his composure he had no memory of the incident ever taking place. Norma dressed the murder scene to make it appear as if Sam had fallen off a ladder in the garage and struck his head on the concrete. 
Notes & Trivia Edit
- The character of Sam Bates was created by director Tucker Gates and writers Carlton Cuse, Kerry Ehrin and Anthony Cipriano based on concepts originally developed by author Robert Bloch. The character of Sam Bates is exclusive to the continuity of the Bates Motel television series and does not have a counterpart in the film series.
- In the film series, Norman's father is never really addressed.
- In the 1987 NBC television movie Bates Motel, Norman's father is named Jake Bates. He was killed (presumably by his wife Gloria Bates) while Norman was still a very young child. His skeletal remains were found buried beneath the neon sign of the Bates Motel.
- When Norman was eighteen-years-old, he suffered a hallucination in which Sam appeared to him and convinced him that it was actually his mother who had killed him. 
- Bates Motel: First You Dream, Then You Die
- Bates Motel: The Truth
- Bates Motel: Goodnight, Mother
- Bates Motel: The Vault
See also Edit
External Links Edit