|This page is similar in name or subject to other pages.
|Directed by:||Anthony Perkins|
|Written by:||Charles Edward Pogue|
|Produced by:||Hilton A. Green; Donald E. Zepfel|
|Music by:||Carter Burwell|
|Edited by:||David Blewitt|
|Distributed by:||Universal Pictures|
|Released:||July 2nd, 1986|
|Running time:||93 min.|
|Previous:||Psycho II (1983)|
|Next:||Psycho IV: The Beginning (1990)|
Psycho III is an American horror film blending elements of the psycholical thriller genre with the slasher genre. It is the third installment in Psycho film series and follows the 1983 film Psycho II. The movie was directed by Anthony Perkins with a script written by Charles Edward Pogue. It was produced by Universal Pictures and released theatrically in the United States on July 2nd, 1986. The film co-stars Diana Scarwid as Maureen Coyle, a young emotionally disturbed suicidal nun and Jeff Fahey as a lecherous musician named Duane Duke. Other cast members include Hugh Gillin as Sheriff John Hunt, and Roberta Maxwell as reporter Tracy Venable.
|Anthony Perkins||Norman Bates|
|Diana Scarwid||Maureen Coyle|
|Jeff Fahey||Duane Duke|
|Roberta Maxwell||Tracy Venable|
|Hugh Gillin||Sheriff John Hunt|
|Robert Alan Browne||Statler|
|Gary Bayer||Father Brian|
|Patience Cleveland||Sister Margaret|
|Steve Guevara||Deputy Leo|
|Karen Hensel||Sister Catherine|
|Katt Shea Ruben||Patsy|
|Hugo L. Stanger||Harvey Leach|
|Lisa Ives||Belltower nun|
Notes & Trivia Edit
- The Psycho film series is based on characters originally developed by author Robert Bloch.
Production & Release Edit
- Production on Psycho III began on June 28th, 1985. Principal filming concluded on September 10th, 1985.
- This is the last of the original Psycho films released theatrically.
- The Psycho House and the lagoon were filmed at the Universal Studios backot in Universal City, California. The rest of the movie was shot in other areas of Los Angeles, California.
Cast & Crew Edit
- Actor Anthony Perkins makes his directorial debut with this film. He also directs the 1988 horror/comedy Lucky Stuff.
- This is the second film for actor Jeff Fahey and his first horror film. He previously appeared in the 1985 Western movie Silverado. He also appears in Body Parts in 1991, The Lawnmower Man in 1992 and Planet Terror in 2007.
- Emma Spool appears in recap footage from the end of Psycho II.
Home Video Edit
- Psycho III was released on DVD in Region 1 format by Universal Studios on September 7th, 1999. This version was made available in widescreen and fullscreen formats and featured the cover illustration of Norman Bates dangling the keys to the Bates Motel in front of the viewer, similar to the theatrical poster. The film was re-released on September 13th, 2005. This version featured the red-filtered cover with Norman Bates standing at the top of the steps in front of the Bates residence with the neon Bates Motel sign glowing in the foreground.
- Psycho III is included in the Psycho: Triple Feature DVD set along with Psycho II and Psycho: The Beginning. This collection was produced by Universal Studios and released in Region 1 format on August 14th, 2007.
- Bates Motel (1987)
- Bates Motel (TV Series)
- Psycho (1960)
- Psycho II (1983)
- Psycho IV: The Beginning (1990)
- Psycho (1998)
See also Edit
External Links Edit
This article relates to the films within the Psycho film franchise. This template will categorize articles that include it into the Psycho films category.