|Location:||Collinsport, Maine |
|Known relatives:||Elizabeth Collins Stoddard |
Carolyn Stoddard 
Roger Collins 
Jeb Hawkes 
|1st appearance:||Dark Shadows: 271|
|Final:||Dark Shadows: 933|
Paul Stoddard was a minor, yet vital character featured in the Dark Shadows television franchise. He was first referenced in episode 5 of the original Dark Shadows television series, but did not make his first appearance until a flashback sequence in episode 271. In that episode he was played by actor Joel Fabiani. The character was re-introduced in the 1969 season in episode 888 where he was played regular series actor Dennis Patrick. Patrick played Stoddard in 19 episodes of the show between 1969 and 1970. The character was killed off in episode 933.
Paul Stoddard was the husband of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard and the father of Carolyn Stoddard. He was also close friends with a con-artist named Jason McGuire. In 1949, Paul made a deal with a demon named Mister Strack for twenty-years worth of wealth and good fortune. Paul conspired with Jason to fake his death, leaving Elizabeth to believe that she had murdered him - a burden she carried for more than eighteen years. In 1969, Paul returned to Collinsport and became a member of the Leviathan Cult. He tried to reunite with his daughter, Carolyn, and even attempted to turn against the Leviathans. For this, he was murdered by Michael Hackett Todd, who was a middle-stage precursor to future Leviathan leader, Jeb Hawkes.
Notes & Trivia Edit
- The character of Paul Stoddard was created by director John Sedwick and script writer Joe Caldwell based on concepts developed by Dan Curtis and Art Wallace.
- Numerous references to the character were made throughout the early seasons of the series prior to his first appearance. He was first alluded to in episode #5 and first identified by name in episode 41.
- Actor Dennis Patrick is also known for playing the role of Paul Stoddard's best friend, Jason McGuire. Jason was killed off in the series in 1967, long before Paul Stoddard's re-introduction to the show.
- Actor Mark Aldre played Paul Stoddard in episode 887, which preceded the character's first full appearance in 888 by Dennis Patrick.
- Dennis Patrick reprised the role of Paul Stoddard for one posthumous appearance in episode 953.