|Directed by:||Guillermo del Toro|
|Written by:||Matthew Robbins; Guillermo del Toro|
|Produced by:||Michael Phillips; Stuart Cornfeld; Ole Bornedal; B.J. Rack; Cary Granat; Richard Potter; Andrew Rona; Michael Zoumas; Clark Henderson|
|Music by:||Marco Beltrami|
|Edited by:||Peter Devaney Flanagan; Patrick Lussier|
|Distributed by:||Miramax Films; Dimension Films|
|Released:||August 22nd, 1997|
|Running time:||105 min.|
|Gross:||$25,480,490 (US) |
Mimic is an American horror film of the science fiction sub-genre. It was directed by Guillermo del Toro and released theatrically in the United States on August 22nd, 1997. It was followed by two direct-to-video sequels, Mimic 2 in 2001 and Mimic 3: Sentinel in 2003. The film stars Mira Sorvino as entomologist Doctor Susan Tyler, a woman who genetically creates an evolved form of insect dubbed the Judas Breed, which is designed to kill cockroaches, which are carriers of the Strickler's Disease epidemic which is killing scores of children in the Manhattan area. Although Tyler is successful in wiping out the disease, the Judas Breed leaves behind an even more insidious legacy - evolution. Three years later, the surviving insects grow and adapt to their surroundings, metamorphosising into a breed of subterranean killers.
|Mira Sorvino||Doctor Susan Tyler|
|Jeremy Northam||Doctor Peter Mann|
|Charles S. Dutton||Leonard|
|F. Murray Abraham||Doctor Gates|
|Margaret Ma||Chinese woman|
|Warna Fisher||Bag lady|
|Alan Argue||Skeletal bum|
|Charles Hayter||Homeless man|
|James Kidnie||Subway repairman|
|Eve English||Homeless woman|
|Bill Lasovich||Long John #1|
|Doug Jones||Long John #2|
|Roger Clown||Long John #3|
|Thomas Lundy||Subway passenger|
|Rocco Salata||SWAT team leader|
Notes & Trivia Edit
- The tagline for this film is "For thousands of years, man has been evolution's greatest creation... until now".
- Mimic is based on a short story by Donald A. Wollheim. As with many film adaptations, the director takes poetic license with the source material and the two works have very little in common with one another aside from the premise of insect evolution.
- Production on Mimic began on September 22nd, 1996. Principal photography concluded on January 4th, 1997. The movie was shot on location in Manhattan, New York City. 
- Mimic grossed $7,818,208 over its opening weekend in 2,255 theaters, averaging $3,467 per theater. It came in at #4 of highest grossing films for the August 22nd weekend. 
- This is the only film in the series produced by Miramax Films.
External Links Edit
This article relates to the films within the Mimic franchise. This template will categorize articles that include it into the Mimic films category.