Classic terror is now state-of-the-art shock.
|Directed by||Roger Corman|
|Written by||Roger Corman; F.X. Feeney|
|Produced by||Roger Corman; Kobi Jaeger; Thom Mount|
|Music by||Carl Davis|
|Cinematography||Armando Nannuzzi; Michael Scott|
|Edited by||Mary Bauer; Jay Cassidy|
|Distributed by||Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation|
|Release date(s)||November 2nd, 1990|
|Running time||82 min.|
|Gross revenue||$334,748 (US)|
Frankenstein Unbound is an American feature film of the horror and science fiction genres. It was written and directed by low-budget monster mogul Roger Corman based on a novel by author Brian Aldiss. The screenplay was co-written by F.X. Feeney. The film was produced by Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation and released theatrically in the United States on November 2nd, 1990. The movie stars John Hurt as the time-traveling Doctor Joe Buchanan, Raul Julia as Doctor Victor Frankenstein, Bridget Fonda as Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin and Nick Brimble as Frankenstein's monstrous creation.
|John Hurt||Doctor Joe Buchanan/Narrator|
|Raul Julia||Doctor Victor Frankenstein|
|Nick Brimble||The Monster|
|Bridget Fonda||Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin|
|Catherine Rabett||Elizabeth Lavenza|
|Jason Patric||Lord George Gordon Byron|
|Michael Hutchence||Percy Byshee Shelley|
|Catherine Corman||Justine Moritz|
|William Geiger||Lab technician|
|Mickey Knox||General Reade|
|Myriam Cyr||Information officer|
|Terri Treas||Buchanan's car (voice)|
|Matt Cassidy||Boy #1|
|Hauck Bjorck||Boy #2|
|Olga Angelo||Girl #2|
|Geoffrey Copleston||Secheron Innkeeper|
|Donald Hodson||Old man|
|Andrew Newton||Head juror|
|Christopher Robertson||Urchin #2|
|Peter Goetz||Man #1|
|Nick Gillard||Man #2|
|Cyrus Elias||Werner, Levenza's butler|
Notes & Trivia Edit
- Copyright holder: © 1990, Byron Films, Inc.
- Frankenstein Unbound redirects to this page.
- Frankenstein Unbound is based on a novel by the same name by author Brian Aldiss.
- Production on Frankenstein Unbound began on June 19th, 1989. Principal photography concluded in August, 1989.
- This is the first film directed by Roger Corman in over two decades.
- Roger Corman was paid one million dollars to direct Frankenstein Unbound.
- There are two deleted scenes from this film. One shows a woman's chest being ripped open, and another shows a man's heart being ripped out. In the Japanese laserdisc print of the film, these scenes have been restored.
- This is the only known acting work for Matt Cassidy, who plays Boy #1.
- Actor Ian Whittaker is uncredited for his participation in this film.
Fun Facts Edit
- Another film that presents a live-action variation of author Mary Shelley is the 1986 quasi-biographical movie, Gothic. In that film, Mary Shelley is portrayed by actress Natasha Richardson.
- Actor John Hurt and co-star Michael Hutchence share the same birthday. Hurt was born on January 22nd, 1940 and Hutchence was born in 1960.
- Actor Michael Hutchence, who plays Percy Bysshe Shelley in this film, is best known as the former lead singer of the pop band INXS. Hutchence committed suicide by hanging himself in his hotel room on November 22nd, 1997. He was thirty-seven years old.